top of page
Search

Fungi, not fun-guys...



After our weekend of rain our observant team has noticed an influx in wild mushrooms growing in lawns and around walking tracks. This is particularly concerning for our staff as these mushrooms can be deadly to our beloved pets. Mushrooms are notoriously difficult to identify so any mushrooms growing in the wild should be considered toxic to your pets. Depending on the type of mushroom a number of toxicities can occur- we can see gastrointestinal signs, liver disease, kidney disease and neurologic changes. Signs can include:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea (this can be immediately after ingestion or up to a week later)

  • Inappetence

  • Weakness and lethargy

  • Yellow gums or eyes

  • Lack of coordination

  • Tremors

  • Vocalisation, agitation or aggression

  • Seizures


It is important to note that some of these toxins are silent killers. It can take days or weeks after ingestion for our animals to seem unwell but internally irreversible changes have occurred to their liver or kidneys which cannot be undone.


Hence, if you suspect your pet has been chewing on any wild mushrooms it is best to organise a consult with our team as soon as possible. We may treat your pet by inducing vomiting to bring up any toxic material or may suggest blood tests too look for organ damage before clinical signs arise (or your pet becomes unwell).


To prevent mushroom poisoning, we recommend to patrol your yard and get rid of any mushrooms that may have popped up. (Remember to wear gloves or to wash your hands as many mushrooms can be toxic to people too!)

It is also important to keep your pet on a leash or monitor very closely on walks as many of our fantastic walking trials will likely have an influx in mushroom growth as well.


Again, if you suspect your pet has eaten any mushrooms or showing any of the above signs please contact us on 4671 3688.

42 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page